To get going in three easy steps
- Install Server
- Install Client
There are two parts to The Boring Toolbox the Server and the Client (more here). Please be sure to download both. Here are the URLs to the latest versions of each:
Note: The installation process has changed for v5. Please read below.
Version 4 (no BoringBase, quicker installation for deployments)
Boring Server (formerly API)
Prior to installing V5 please consider the following in preparation.
- If the Milestone DB name is not Surveillance the installer will throw an error as it will not be able to add the appropriate permissions to the Surveillance DB. Please reach out to support so that we can help you through this.
- The user you are logged into Windows as when running the installer must have dbcreator rights on the SQL server or else the creation of the db will not happen.
- If using a Windows User to run your Milestone services, run the install as that user. This will apply the appropriate permissions to the BoringBase.
We are going to work on making this a bit easier but thank you for bearing with us in the meantime!
Installing Version 5
- Version 5 has a different set of prerequisites than version 4 due to the background services being installed
- The installer will first check if .NET 4.7.2 is installed on the server
- For installations with internet, if not installed, you will be prompted to install it
- For installations without internet, if not installed, you will be asked to download and install it from Microsoft directly
Important: Depending on your Windows version the installation of .NET 4.7.2 or IIS Hosting prerequisite may require a restart of your server. The installation process will continue automatically after the reboot.
- Installer will now move to check for the other prerequisites needed for install
- Install .NET Core 3.1.4 Server Hosting
- Install or repair .NET Core Runtime
- When the prerequisites are installed you will move to the installation of the server
- Configure the access to the SQL server
- Click Test Connection
- Once, successful, click Next >
- Continue pressing next and choosing defaults
- Once installation is complete, give it a minute or two for the services to start up
- Move the service installer on to your Milestone Management Server
- run BoringServiceInstaller-x.xx.xxxx.exe on to the Milestone XProtect management server
- Then click Run Anyways
- Accept the EULA
- Click Next and complete the installation
If Upgrading from Service 3.19.0409 or below
If upgrading from version 3.19.0409 or below you will see the below image. Click "Yes". This will install the new IIS Application Pool and will update the binding on the existing web service.
Install the Client
- Copy the Client installer to the machine you use to manage Milestone XProtect
- If on Windows 10 you may see the same Smartscreen blue box when installing. Similar to above click More Info and Run Anyways.
- Accept all defaults to finish the installation