To get going in three easy steps
- Install Server Complete
- Install Client
There are two parts to The Boring Toolbox the Server and the Client (more here). Please be sure to download both. Below are the URLs to download the latest versions of each.
Note: If expanding an existing installation and you are not planning to upgrade the entire install base, you can download previous versions of Boring Toolbox here. All Boring Toolbox component versions must match to have full functionality.
Version 5.23.0905 (Professional, Corporate or Free Trial)
Released September 5, 2023
Latest Release Notes
- Server Complete: Download Server Complete Version 5.23.0905
- Toolbox Client: Download Toolbox Client Version 5.23.0905
Before you install Boring Server v5, please consider the following in preparation.
- Please check the system requirements.
- The user you are logged into Windows as when running the installer must have dbcreator rights on the SQL server, or else the creation of the db will not happen.
- We recommend you log into the Milestone XProtect Management Server as the Windows user used to install Milestone. This user will typically have the appropriate permissions to create the BoringBase.
Installing Boring Server v5.23.0905 and above
- Copy or move the Boring Toolbox server installation file over to your Milestone XProtect Management server.
- Unblock and run the installer
- The installer will first check if .NET 4.7.2 and .NET 6 are installed on the server.
- You will be prompted to install the pre-requisites if not already installed
- Next, it will check for the Microsoft IIS URL Rewrite module
Important: Depending on your Windows version, installing .NET 4.7.2 or .NET 6 prerequisites (see below) may require a server restart. The installation process will continue automatically after the reboot. To install prereqs before running the installer, follow this KB.
Video of a new installation or in-place upgrade (same procedure)
Step-by-step installation or upgrade process
- The installer will begin by checking for the necessary prerequisites
- Install .NET 6 Server Hosting
- .NET 6 Server Hosting typically requires a restart
- Install the IIS URL rewrite module
- When the prerequisites are installed, you will go ahead and install the server.
- Check the box that your BUS Renewal Date expires after the release date of the software stated in the installer.
- Click Next
- Accept the EULA
- Choose your installation location. Defaults are recommended here.
Database configuration (New Installations)
- Choose default to use BoringBase as the database name (Recommended)
- Choose custom to use a database name of your choosing
- This is useful when you have multiple Milestone XProtect Management servers sharing the same SQL server
Database configuration (Upgrade)
- When upgrading from a previous version, the installer will automatically locate the database location and populate that for you.
- Please don't change this when you do an upgrade.
- Review installation parameters, if correct, press Install
- The Windows services will NOT start until you create a parent site. See below.
Install the Client
- Copy the Client installer to the machine you use to manage Milestone XProtect
- Accept all defaults to finish the installation
- Activate the client
Create a Parent Site