To get going in three easy steps
- Install Server Complete
- Install Client
There are two parts to The Boring Toolbox the Server and the Client (more here). Please be sure to download both. Below are the URLs to download the latest versions of each.
Note: If expanding an existing installation and you are not planning to upgrade the entire install base, you can download previous versions of Boring Toolbox here. All Boring Toolbox component versions must match to have full functionality.
Version 5.23.0525 (Professional, Corporate or Free Trial)
Released May 25, 2023
Latest Release Notes
- Server Complete: Download Server Complete Version 5.23.0525
- Toolbox Client: Download Toolbox Client Version 5.23.0525
Before you install Boring Server v5, please consider the following in preparation.
- Please check the system requirements.
- The user you are logged into Windows as when running the installer must have dbcreator rights on the SQL server, or else the creation of the db will not happen.
- We recommend you log into the Milestone XProtect Management Server as the Windows user used to install Milestone. This user will typically have the appropriate permissions to create the BoringBase.
Installing Boring Server v5 Complete
- Move the server installation file over to your Milestone XProtect Management server
- Run the installer
Install the prerequisites
- The installer will first check if .NET 4.7.2 and .NET 6 are installed on the server.
- For installations with the internet, if not installed, you will be prompted to install it.
- For installations without internet, if not installed, you will be asked to download and install it from Microsoft directly.
Important: Depending on your Windows version, the installation of .NET 4.7.2 or the IIS Hosting prerequisite (see below) may require a server restart. The installation process will continue automatically after the reboot. To install prereqs before running the installer, follow this KB.
- The installer will now move to check for the other prerequisites needed to install
- Install .NET 6 Server Hosting
- .NET 6 Server Hosting typically requires a restart
- Install the IIS URL rewrite module
- When the prerequisites are installed you will move to the installation of the server
- Check that your BUS Renewal Date expires release date.
- Click Next
- Accept the EULA
- Choose your installation location. Defaults are recommended here.
Configure Windows Service Account
Here you will choose the user account which will run the Windows services, IIS application pool and be the owner of the BoringBase. Choose:
- Network Service
- This account
- Enter the username and password of the specific Windows user (service account) you would like to use. Typically you will use the same Windows service account you use to run Milestone XProtect services.
Configure SQL Server Connectivity
1. SQL Server address
- By default, the installer will use localhost
- The installer will not search the network for other SQL Servers
- If your SQL Server is on another machine, you will receive an "ODBC Timeout" error. This is OK. Type in the IP or hostname in the text field.
2. SQL Server authentication
- By default, the installer uses Windows Integrated Authentication (recommended)
- Windows Integrated Authentication will use the user's credentials currently logged into Windows.
- The user connecting to SQL Server must have DBCreator rights. Typically the user that installed Milestone initially will have these rights.
3. Milestone Database
- If you choose a SQL Server other than localhost in #1, press the three dots (...) to refresh the database list in the drop-down.
- Select the Milestone Database (typically Surveillance)
4. Boring Database Name
- Choose default to use BoringBase as the database name
- Choose custom to use a database name of your choosing
- This is useful when you have multiple Milestone XProtect Management servers sharing the same SQL server
5. Test SQL Connection
- Click Test Connection (twice)
- Once successful, click Next >
Review installation parameters
- If correct, press install
- Once installation is complete, give it a minute or two for the services to start up
Install the Client
- Copy the Client installer to the machine you use to manage Milestone XProtect
- Accept all defaults to finish the installation
- Activate the client
Create a Parent Site
Once logged into the client, you want to enable background services like live monitoring. To do this, set up your parent site.
That's it! You can now check the rest of the KBs for Logging In, and Application Layout to get familiar with the Client.
Please sign in to leave a comment.