To get going in three easy steps
- Install Server Complete
- Install Client
There are two parts to The Boring Toolbox the Server and the Client (more here). Please be sure to download both. Below are the URLs to download the latest versions of each.
Note: If expanding an existing installation, and you are not planning to upgrade the entire install base, you can download previous versions of Boring Toolbox here. All Boring Toolbox component versions must match to have full functionality.
Version 5.21.0322 (Professional, Corporate or Free Trial)
Released March 22, 2021
Latest Release Notes
- Server Complete: Download Server Complete Version 5.21.0322
- Toolbox Client: Download Toolbox Client Version 5.21.0322
Prior to installing Boring Server v5 please consider the following in preparation.
- Please check system requirements
- The user you are logged into Windows as when running the installer must have dbcreator rights on the SQL server or else the creation of the db will not happen.
- If using a Windows User to run your Milestone services, run the install as that user. This user will typically have the appropriate permissions to the BoringBase.
We are going to work on making this a bit easier but thank you for bearing with us in the meantime!
Installing Boring Server v5 Complete
- Move the server installation file over to your Milestone Management server
- Run the installer
Install the prerequisites
- The installer will first check if .NET 4.7.2 is installed on the server
- For installations with internet, if not installed, you will be prompted to install it
- For installations without internet, if not installed, you will be asked to download and install it from Microsoft directly
Important: Depending on your Windows version the installation of .NET 4.7.2 or IIS Hosting prerequisite may require a restart of your server. The installation process will continue automatically after the reboot.
- Installer will now move to check for the other prerequisites needed for install
- Install .NET Core 3.1.4 Server Hosting
- Install or repair .NET Core Runtime
- When the prerequisites are installed you will move to the installation of the server
- Click Next
- Accept the EULA
- Choose your installation location. Defaults are recommended here.
Configure Windows Service Account
Here you will choose the user account which will run the Windows services, IIS application pool and be the owner of the BoringBase. Choose:
- Local Service
- Network Service
- This account
- Enter the username and password of the specific Windows user (service account) you would like to use. Typically you will use the same Windows service account you use to run Milestone XProtect services.
Configure SQL Server Connectivity
1. SQL Server address
- By default the installer will use localhost
- The installer will not search the network for other SQL Servers
- If your SQL Server is on another machine you will receive a "ODBC Timeout" error. This is OK. Type in the IP or hostname in the text field.
2. SQL Server authentication
- By default the installer uses Windows Integrated Authentication (recommended)
- Windows Integrated Authentication will use the credentials of the user currently logged into Windows
- The user connecting to SQL Server must have DBCreator rights. Typically the user that installed Milestone initially will have these rights.
3. Milestone Database
- If you chose a SQL Server other than localhost in #1 press the three dots (...) to refresh the database list in the drop down.
- Select the Milestone Database (typically Surveillance)
4. Test SQL Connection
- Click Test Connection (twice)
- Once, successful, click Next >
Review installation parameters
- If correct, press install
- Once installation is complete, give it a minute or two for the services to start up
If SQL Server is on a different server
If your SQL server resides on a different server (physical or VM) than the management server service you will need to update the logon user for both the Boring services and Boring IIS AppPool.
- For more information see: Changing the Service Account Under Which Boring Services are Running
Install the Client
- Copy the Client installer to the machine you use to manage Milestone XProtect
- Accept all defaults to finish the installation
- Activate the client
- Move the service installer on to your Milestone Management Server
- run BoringServiceInstaller-x.xx.xxxx.exe on to the Milestone XProtect management server
- Then click Run Anyways
- Accept the EULA
- Click Next and complete the installation